I get foot cramps and use Atripla

I am HIV+ and currently taking Atripla for the past two months. Once in awhile I get a terrible foot cramp in the arch of my left foot which is really quite painful. It has even awakened me at times. I never had this happen in the past before starting this medication. I have only been on medication for my HIV for the past two months as I was only recently diagnosed. Could this be a side-effect of some type from the Atripla? I had a partner years ago who had HIV and was on Sustiva who I recall had terrible cramps in his feet so that is why I ask. Like me, his cramps only began AFTER he began Sustiva. Thanks for your time...and your good work helping us all...

Pain localized to the arch of a one foot would be unlikely to be caused by any of the HIV medications in Atripla (tenofovir, FTC, or efavirenz). Neurologic problems from HIV or one of the medications often would involve the toes first of both feet and would not be concentrated on the arch of the foot. The arch of the foot can be painful from a wide variety of fairly common conditions such as plantar fasciitis. An evaluation by your HIV specialist, a podiatrist, or a neurologist may help define the likely cause of the pain you are experiencing. KH

sulfaneth/trime
Stomach problems with medicine.