Dosing of acetyl-L-Carnitine

I can't recall where I read it, but I've recently read that to optimize the benefits of acetyl-L-Carnitine a person needs to take about 3000mg (i.e. 6x500mg capsules) daily. I've been taking 1000-1500mgs a day for a few weeks and I really do think I am noticing some benefit (in regards to joint pain and PN), will the benefit increase with the higher dosing (i.e. up to 3000mgs.) or are there some side-effects that we might not be aware of. Also, should I be taking my supplements (I also take CoQ10 and flaxseed) at a 12 hour interval away from the time I take my HIV meds? Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions...it is a godsend.

Good questions. For mitochondrial damage doses of acetyl-L-carnitine of 1000-4000mg /day have been used. I am not aware of a good dose ranging study that has settled the issue of proper dosing or clinical benefit for joint pain or HIV-related peripheral neuropathy. I also have not seen a good drug interaction study for faxseed, Q-enzyme Q or acetyl carnitine and key HIV drugs like protease inhibitors or efavirenz/nevirapine. In the absence of defintive data your plan to separate dosing seems wise. KH

coinfection of HIV with Herpes
Will I have resistance