Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dosing of acetyl-L-Carnitine
Jan 5, 2007

I can't recall where I read it, but I've recently read that to optimize the benefits of acetyl-L-Carnitine a person needs to take about 3000mg (i.e. 6x500mg capsules) daily. I've been taking 1000-1500mgs a day for a few weeks and I really do think I am noticing some benefit (in regards to joint pain and PN), will the benefit increase with the higher dosing (i.e. up to 3000mgs.) or are there some side-effects that we might not be aware of. Also, should I be taking my supplements (I also take CoQ10 and flaxseed) at a 12 hour interval away from the time I take my HIV meds? Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions...it is a godsend.

Response from Dr. Henry

Good questions. For mitochondrial damage doses of acetyl-L-carnitine of 1000-4000mg /day have been used. I am not aware of a good dose ranging study that has settled the issue of proper dosing or clinical benefit for joint pain or HIV-related peripheral neuropathy. I also have not seen a good drug interaction study for faxseed, Q-enzyme Q or acetyl carnitine and key HIV drugs like protease inhibitors or efavirenz/nevirapine. In the absence of defintive data your plan to separate dosing seems wise. KH

Previous
coinfection of HIV with Herpes
Next
Will I have resistance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.