Combivir Reaction?

I started meds on 11/22/06 with the initial regimen of Sustiva/Epzicom. Due to a reaction to the Epzicom, I was switched to Truvada. Last week, my doctor switched me to Combivir due to concern for my Kidneys.

On the first day with Combivir, I was a bit nauseous but tolerable. On Day 2, I was increasingly tired and the nausea continued. I was prescribed Promethazine (25mg) for the Nausea which I took. It didn't help much. On Day three, I was sleeping all day with no desire to eat and the nausea worsened. Being Diabetic (Type 1) I at some toast but it caused vomiting. Taking my nighttime dose of combivir produced the same reaction.

This being a long holiday weekend, I went back to the Truvada until I can call the doctor.

Do you think I am just overly sensative to the AZT component of my treatment? Was going back to Truvada the thing to do until I can get into the doctors office?

A significant minority of patients experience nausea or other GI complaints when starting AZT (usually diminishes over the first month). Short term use of Truvada in situations like yours generally would be OK until you can consult with your HIV specialist (stopping meds altogether can create a situation where resistance to Sustiva can develop so trying to continue triple therapy is often prudent). KH

meds and your heart ?
lypodystrophy? My son