Buffalo Hump

I have been doing 300 mg Reyataz and 100 mg Norvir once daily for about two years. During that time the buffalo hump at the top of my back has grown noticeably and the size of my neck has increased from 17 3/4" to 20 1/2". Can you recommend a drug combination that will either reduce the size of the buffalo hump and my neck or at least keep them from growing any larger. Thanks.

You don't mention if you are taking any other drugs (such as 2 nucleosides) with the ritonavir+ atazanvir. It is not yet clear if switching off ritonavir+ atazanavir to an alternative HIV regimen will reverse observed fat gain in any region of the body. The issue of fat gain in treated HIV+ patients is very complicated and frustrating. There is a strong genetic component and range in expression of fat distribution abnormalities with factors such as gender, race, time with HIV, how low the CD4 count and others playing a role in certain patients. In one major study of HIV+ compared to HIV- matched persons, fat gain was similar between the two groups while the HIV+ group was distinguished by excessive fat LOSS. Often fat problems in HIV+ persons are also seen in close relatives who are HIV- suggesting a genetic component independent of HIV status. KH

Serostim and Abdominal Bloating
lipodystrophy