Hair Loss

Dear Doctor Henry, I hope you are well. I wrote before, on Oct 27, 2006 and Nov 1, 2006 which I will summarize: For several years I was on Kaletra and Combivir during which time I guess my hair did get thinner but I hadn't noticed it so much (my hair dresser had). I was told this combi was unnecessarily strong for me and since Sept 2005 I was put on Viramune, Viread and Epivir. After abt half a year I noticed that my hair had really gotten thin and hairs were falling out. Last month, on Nov 14, I started taking a daily (powder)supplement with various kinds of bacteries and also a potent multi vitamine pill. Either one or both seem to have lessened the hair falling out (may be helpful for readers?). Today my new doctor (I switched hospitals) gave me a prescription for Truvada (tenofovir + FTC) to replace the Viread and Epivir. To be taken in combination with my Viramune. But you wrote on Oct 27, 2006 "I don't have much sense regarding whether the problem might lesson if switched from 3TC to FTC (emtriva) which is a similar drug structurally". Which meds switch would you have advised if hair loss was my (luckily only) problem? (I haven't started on the Truvada yet and I'm sure my doctor won't mind if I came to him with your suggestion.) Thank you and I wish you and your collegues happy holidays.

I think it is worth trying the Truvada combination but it might not reverse the hair loss problem (if 3TC is contributing) since some (? %) will have similar problems with FTC as 3TC but data on that specific issue is limited. KH

Sustiva side effects
Change in appetite and stool