Hand numbness and muscle pain

Hello Dear Doctors:

Thank you very much for this amazing website. The job done here is fantastic and i assume very helpfull to many more like me. I am 31 years old, i was diagnosed on June this year as HIV+. I started HAART in a combination of lexiva, truvada and norvir, at the beginning of August. Mild side effects and feeling great. Although lately for the last 4 weeks or so, i have been waking up every morning ( or any other time i fall asleep and then wake up ) initially with pain in my hands, both. Like joint pain and an a weird sensation of somehow numbness but mostly it feels like if my skin is to tight and small for my hands. I stretch them a lot and after a while its gone. I have been experiencing also muscle pain in my back, upper and lower parts, as well as short but painfull muscle spams in my lower back. Plus a few migraines that pull my neck muscles quite tight. By now, the actual joint pain from my hands is gone but that tight feeling and numbness prevails. Can you please comment on this symptoms and tell me if i should make an appointment with my provider very soon?

The numbness in your hands sounds somewhat like carpal tunnel syndrome which is due to nerve compression and generally not related to either HIV or your HIV medications. The diffuse muscle pains you describe are rarely caused by your particular HIV regimen. A thorough muscle/nerve/joint evaluation with examination and blood tests is important to try and pin down what is going on and thus offer suggestions for treatment. KH

Dangers of Sun Exposure
Ozone for HIV