kaletra and diarrhea

Hello. I have an employee at my small buiness who discovered last March that he was HIV-positive. His family also has a history of diarrhea (I don't know if it's colitis, Krohn's disease, or just what, and neither does he.) He discovered he was positive because he was seeking treatment for his chronic diarrhea. He was excluded from our business's health insurance policy and sees whomever he can see at a clinic, which I think is hindering his progress. His T-cell count is 837 and his viral load is 49-50. They put him on kaletra and truvada. He misses several days of work a week due to his diarrhea, and has for months now. His health is much worse since he started treatment -- he's tired easily, sweats easily, he's lost a lot of weight. Does he need to be on this treatment? Other than the diarrhea he doesn't seem to experience any other symptom of HIV, and I'm wondering if it's even HIV-related. He lives a pretty healthy lifestyle (no alcohol or drugs, he quit cigarettes, my business is a dance studio so he happily exercises). The diarrhea is debilitating for him, physically and emotionally. I think the treatment is worse than the disease at this point. What can I do?

He needs to discuss alternative HIV regimens with his HIV specialist that could be more gut friendly and/or better symptom control for his loose stools with either his HIV specialist and/or GI specialist. KH

Body fat
atripla side effects