Alopecia Areata & Sustiva/Truvada

I switched from Sustiva-Videx-Viread in November of 2005. Around September 2006, my hair began to fall out in patches. In Ayurveda, the verdict was too much salt in the body, perhaps from the French food (was in Paris for all that time) and the Curry (almost every night). When I got back to the U.S., the hair loss stopped, but did not grow back. Few hairs are appearing it seems, but not at any fast rate. Could it be a side effect of one of the beforementioned drugs?

The only new drug is Emtriva (substituted for the Videx). Occasional patients have pigmentation problems with Emtriva. I have seen some hair loss problems from Epivir (3TC) which is closely related to Emtriva (FTC) so that could be contributing but I agree with switching off the Videx since Videx + Viread can have a negative interaction with each other (more toxicity and less of a CD4 recovery). KH

Wound won't heal
women & hiv+