HIV help

Hi, I have a few quick questions that I really need clarified if possible.

2-4 days after (stupidly) having unprotected sex with a girl, who I later found out was a stripper, I came down with a very very sore throat, swollen glands in the neck, fever and chills which lasted about 1-2 days. Could this be from an HIV infection or is it too soon to have been seeing HIV symptoms? What is the earliest time span after the point of exposure could someone experience symptoms?

And finally, I dont know if this girl is infected with anything or not. But let's say a guy has unprotected sex with a girl who does have HIV. What are the chances that in that one encounter that he could get the HIV? Does it usually take more than one try? I am uncircumcized, and I was weirdly enough not erect during the sex if that makes any difference.

Thank you so much for your help.

Response from Dr. Conway

The risk of transmission from an infected woman to an uninfected man who is not circumcised during unprotected intercourse is about 0.1%. As you can see, there would be 999 chances out of 1,000 that you did not become infected. The symptoms you describe are very early for acute HIV infection, as such symptoms are almost never occurring within 7-10 days of the exposure. It is not impossible, just quite unlikely. I would think the symptoms you describe have nothing to do with the exposure or may relate to another sexual infection such as gonorrhea.

sucess rate
advice please