sucess rate

I was reading an article discussing the use of radioimmunotherapy for HIV treatment. It sounds very intersting. However in this article from webmd, they were noting that HAART treatment is only sucessful in about two thirds of patients. I thought the sucess rate was much much higher. Can you comment on this and do have any opinion on the use of radioimmunotherapy?

Response from Dr. Conway

I am not sure I have any comments about radioimmunotherapy other than to quote the recent article:

Dadachova E et al. Targeted killing of virally infected cells by radiolabelled antibodies to viral proteins. PloS Medicine 3 (11): e427, 2006.

This suggests interesting preliminary results in mice, without any human data as of yet.

The data that you quote suggesting that HAART is only effective in two thirds of patients is based on the fact that, in many clinical trials, if someone stops treatment due to side effects or if they have to change treatment for any reason, this counts as if they had failed HAART. If someone is taking HAART, tolerates it, responds to it and keeps taking it, over 95% of people keep responding.

Fatty acid deficiency?
HIV help