Fatty acid deficiency?
Nov 13, 2006
Hi Doctor, Is it possible to have fatty acid deficiency if you have mitochondrial toxicity? Thanks for your help.
Response from Dr. Conway
The mitochondrial toxicity relates to some impairment of the DNA that is made this part of the cell. It may be that there is generalized impairment of the mitochondria in the entire body, but it may also be selective...perhaps in fat cells. This can lead to their selective depletion in some cases, as has been seen in patients taking stavudine, especially if it is taken along with didanosine. This phenomenon has only rarely been described in subjects that are not taking stavudine, however.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Chills After Receptive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Anal Sex Bottom Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Testicles After Touching A Bloody Scab Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Red Spots After Drinking Water Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Glands After French Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- How Are Genital Warts Contracted?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.