Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AIDS RESEARCH
Nov 10, 2006

Lots of thanks for your response Dr.Conway.

In Malawi,all HIV/AIDS activities are coordinated by the National AIDS Commission(NAC) through some 5 umbrella orgainations and government ministries.The NGOs which were given this task are Plan International,World Vision International,Action Aid,CPAR and Save the Children.Malawi is a country of about 11,000,000people.The country has 27 Districts(including Rumphi District where i live).CPAR is the NGO that has been given the mandate by NAC to coordinate HIV/AIDS activities in the district.137,632 people(52% women) live in this district.Cpar is not alone in this process.It works in effective partinership with the local district assembly,line government ministries,NGO's and other stakeholders.The District AIDS Coordinating Committee provides supervisory support. World Vision is one of the key partiners working together with CPAR through Mphompha Area Development Program.

No formal research (i.e.scientific etc)has been done apart from the baseline survey that was conducted by CPAR in collaboration with all its partiners IN SEPTEMBER 2005.The primary objective of the survey was to capture data on key indicators that could be used in measuring the efficacy of the community based response to the HIV/AIDS pandemic in Rumphi District.Specific objectives of the survey centred on chronically ill people,people living with HIV/AIDS,Households keeping orphans and other vulnerable children with HIV/AIDS.I will try to network with CPAR to access the soft copy of the results of the survey so that you can have a look at it. I work as a Development Facilitator for Mphompha Area Development program.This is a COMMUNITY-BASED program evolved from World Vision work in northern Malawi.My work basically involves facilitation of transformational development in the areas of food security,community health,Christian impact and education.HIV/AIDS comes as a crosscutting issue.However i have a personal interest on the issue because i am infected by the HI Virus.My wife and 2 of my daughters(Sharon-5 and Thembi-3)are sero-positive too.Because of this,i have been working to support 7 Community Based Organisations on care,impact mitigation and local resouerce mobilization.I really would want to make maximum impact to the local community through my openness on the issue,awareness raising,research and positive living.Recently i was diagnised of cerebral toxoplasmosis.I am currently on cotrim therapy for 6 weeks.Through faith in prayer,i find streghth in Christ.

Blessings,

Vitu

Response from Dr. Henry

In the setting of AIDS-defining infections such as toxoplasmosis it is recommended to start potent antiretroviral therapy as well as receive treatment for the underlying infection. Hopefully one of the agencies available in Malawi has access to affordable antiretroviral therapy or are actively securing increased access to antiretroviral therapy. Your situation underscores how great the need is. KH

Previous
Accuracy in detecting HIV Subtypes
Next
bumps on tongue

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.