BLOOD IN VOMIT

I have been taking Combivir, Nevirapine and Septrin from June 2006 with unnoticeable side effects. Last week on Friday I vomitted and there was a lot of blood in the vomit. What could be the cause? I visited the clinic immediately and am on on medication. I have continued taking my earlier drugs as well.

Response from Dr. Conway

Nausea and vomiting can be a side effect of the zidovudine component of the Combivir as well as the Nevirapine. The blood may jsut relate to severe vomiting or may be due to something else, such as a lesion in your stomach, severe liver disease or a problem with your blood being able to clot. All of these things can be figured out with appropriate blood tests and, if needed, a gastroscopy (putting a camera down your throat and into your stomach to see what is going on). In any case, I would think that if the bleding has stopped, the need to address all of these issues is less urgent. This being said, it could be important to figure it out to make sure it does not happen again.

SUSTIVA
Afraid of HIV