SUSTIVA

I have been taking Sustiva and Kivexa since May this year. Since August I am suffering with terrible soreness of the skin on the feet with chronic pain as if walking on glass! In addition to this I am experiencing tingling and numbness in both feet and hands. My doctors seem unconcerned but I am barely able to walk. Any suggestions please?

Response from Dr. Conway

Traditionally, we do not think of neuropathy as being a side effect of any of the medications you are taking, except for perhaps the abacavir component of Kivexa. Even there, we would not be seeing this terribly often. There are a number of other causes of peripheral neuropathy that you could be discussing with your doctor, and these can be figured out with blood tests and other tests. If nothing comes up, then you might want to discuss getting off the abacavir, but I would certainly want to confirm that this is, indeed, neuropathy and that it is not being caused by something else before I considered changing your treatment.

Hemmorrhoids
BLOOD IN VOMIT