cataracts

I'm not sure exactly where to ask this question, as I found no particular 'eye' expert here.

I have had HIV for 2.5 years and have been on meds for four months: once a day--Reyataz with Norvir booster, Viread and Emtriva.

Almost concurrent with starting my medication, I developed a problem with my right eye. My vision went all of a sudden from -2.75 to -5, and then to -7 within three weeks. I have been for several consulations at an opthalmologist my HIV doctor sent me to. They find nothing wrong with the retina or cornea, and no signs of CMV. After all these consulations, today I heard from a consulting opthalmologist that I have the beginnings of a cataract in the lens of that eye.

I am only 40 years old, and find this development a little strange. Can this be an effect of HIV or medication? Or, is it likely completely unrelated? I can't find much literature that shows any connection with HIV to cataracts, except a study done in mice.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Good question. I have scores of patients on your current regimen across many ages and have not had any patients develop cataracts nor am I aware of published reports noting that linkage. If any reader is aware of an association between atazanavir/tenofovir/emtricitabine please post here! KH

LipoSonix
Neurological Manifestations and Treatment