frozen shoulder

I have been suffering from a frozen shoulder for about 10 months now. Have seen a several chiropractors, osteopaths, done x-rays (have a bit of arthritis but not enough to limit my movement). Much pain in my shoulder and mobility to about a third of what I had. I'm HIV positive since 25 years now. Living in France, so have had some of the best care available. All the meds, Anti protéases since 1995. Heavy duty cocktail. Just saw a rheumatologist who has made a connection to long term HIV meds (especially anti proteases) and blocked shoulders. There is a service in his hospital with an acknowledgeable number of HIV patients who have the same problem. This is the first time I have heard of the meds affecting the shoulder. I did read some of your responses to previous shoulder pain questions and found you rarely make this connection. Your thoughts on this matter would be appreciated. Marc

I am unaware of any study linking use of protease inhibitors with joint abnormalities or frozen shoulder to be specific. I have hundreds of patients on protease inhibitors-some of whom have shoulder problems. In most cases the shoulder problems has been related to tedonitis, capsulitis, or osteoarthritis. I have not had the impresssion from either my experience or comments from the rheumatology consultants that protease inhibitors are in some way causing the problem. I would be interested in hearing from any reader if they are aware of any studies noting such a linkage. There are a variety of joint problems that have been reported in HIV+ persons but the linkage to protease inhibitors has not been established to my knowledge. KH

swelling of colon
hiv, diabetes, need to gain weight