Hair loss

Dear dr.Henry, It's amazing how you and your colleagues find the time for us next to your normal work. Thank you so much! Abt the hair loss: I'm a woman, doing well on the meds (undetectable/CD4910). For several years I've been on Kaletra and 2xp/d Combivir. Since August 2005 I'm on Viramune (2xp/d 200mg), Viread (1x245mg)and Epivir (1x300mg). After abt 5 months my hair had noticeably gotten thinner and has for some time now started to really fall out! I read your answers connecting hair loss with lamivudine which I used to get in Combivir 2x150mg, and now get 1xp/d 300mg in Epivir. Would it help solve the hair loss to switch (back) to twice a day 150mg? I'm anxious abt switching meds, you see. Searching further in the forum, I read in Dr Conway's answers (jul 17 06, feb 4 04) he finds not the lamivudine but more so the retrovir part of Combivir and tenofovir/Viread the possible cause of hair loss. Now I'm confused! Please help, thank you.

Both the zidovudine and the lamivudine in Combivir occasionaly are associated with hair loss. In my own experience it has more often been the lamivudine (3TC). I don't have much sense regarding whether the problem might lesson if switched from 3TC to FTC (emtriva) which is a similar drug structurally. Have you seen a dermatologist for consultation? Are there other family members with a similar hair loss pattern (can be familial in some cases)? KH

how to take meds
swelling of colon