from Crixivan to what ?

Hi, I've been on HAART for 5 yrs. Over 3 yrs on Crixivan, Viread & Zidovudine. I did lose a lot of weight & fat in my legs & butt. Should I move to another drug & what do you recommend? I am afraid oflipodystophy. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Conway

You are quite right to want to switch, as indinavir (Crixivan) is one fo the drugs most asociated with the development of lipodystrophy. If your viral load is undetectabel, you can simply consider a single drug switch, changing the Crixivan to either Reyataz with Ritonavir if you want to stay with a protease inhibitor. If you don't mind switching classes and you are not a woman at risk of becoming pregnant, then efavirenz would be another good choice.

Life span of HIV
HIV Fear