Tinnitus and Efavirenz

I have had tinnitus since March 2006, and an audiogram in May showed sensorineural loss of 35 db over left year. I have started taking Combivir (AZT&3TC) and Efavirenz for 16 weeks. But Tinnitus got worse recently. Can it be related to the Med?

Response from Dr. Conway

I am not aware of any direct link of tinnitus with any of the medications you are taking. This being said, any side effect of this type can be associated with any drug, although this can be quite rare. Of the agents you are taking, the AZT and Efavirenz could be implicated, although I find this unlikely. If it were safe for you to go off the medication to see if the tinnitus gets better, that would be the way to figure this out.

PEP not recommended VERY URGENT
lora tabs