HIV Weight Gain

I've heard there is a treatment for weight gain due to protease inhibitors. I've gained about 30 pounds in the gut area (stomach). I've severly decreased my meals to around 750 to 900 calories daily, and I'm concerned that might reflect negatively on my health. I also have fybromyalgia, so I'm physically unable to excersize.

There is no easy therapy for weight gain experienced in the setting of HIV treatment. Diet and exercise/physical therapy can help many (and actually can help many patients with the fobromylagia). Losing weight is a challenge in the general population and even more so in HIV+ persons since some combinations of HIV medications can cause increases in abdominal fat. Some of that can be genetic (do any of your relatives who are HIV- have a similar problem?). Growth hormone, growth hormone releasing factor, and some diabetic medications are being studied to decrease abdominal fat but they each have problems associated with them with unclear clinical benefit as of 2006. I assume you have met with a dietician and had a hormone/general health evaluation. KH

crestor side effects and experiences
need help