Why is my CD4 Count taking so long to rise?

I have been on meds since January of this year, but my CD4 count is just 70. I had a near-death experience with PCP last September; ot took Pentamidine to save me. WHy are my CD4 mubers still so low? Current regimen is NOrvir, Truvada and Reyataz.

Effective HIV therapy shuts down HIV replication resulting in a precipitous drop in HIV levels (the viral load). Recovery of CD4 cells is a separate process and depends on numerous factors only one of which is HIV suppression. In general (many exceptions),CD4 recovery is less in persons who start with lower CD4 count and who are older. The status of the thymus gland impacts CD4 recovery (tends to shrink with age) as does the genetic make-up of the patients (certain CCR5 and CCL3L1 genotypes are linked to immune status,progression, etc). The state of immune activation and many other factors can influence degree of CD4 recovery. The regimen you are on is generally associated with good CD4 recovery. Sometimes CD4 recovery can be very slow and for a small subset doesn't happen. Data is pretty clear that HIV suppression and good prophylaxis for opportunistic infections, and nutrition support can protect health even in the setting of persistent low CD4 cells. Use of drugs like IL-2 to boost the CD4 count are under study to see if there is an actual clinical benefit versus just a laboratory benefit. KH

Question regarding Reyataz
ATRIPLA