Question regarding Reyataz

Thanks again for this valuable forum. Question: what, if any, is the distinction between people needing to take Reyataz reinforced with Norvir and people taking Reyataz only? Does Norvir boost the efficacy of Reyataz? I am taking both (along with Ziagen and Viread) and I would rather not take another med (i.e. Norvir) and suffer the side-effects when I really might not need to. Thanks again.

Use of Norvir with Reyataz increases the level of Reyataz in the blood(atazanavir) well above the levels seen when using Reyataz alone. That increased blood level decreases the chances for the development of resistance and enhances the effectiveness of Reyataz. Viread decreases the level of Reyataz so when those drugs are used together the data is pretty clear that ritonavir needs to be used to boost the level of Reyataz. I rarely have patients on Ziagen and Viread as the nucleoside backbone due to their overlapping resistance pattern. KH

HIV / Aids
Why is my CD4 Count taking so long to rise?