Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Doc Suggests Switching Meds But I'm Moving to Another State
Oct 11, 2006

hello, i've been on sustiva + combivir for 3 yrs with excellent results. however, i decided to take a drug holiday a few months ago and now my genotype test is inconclusive about whether sustiva is still helping me. my viral load has gone from non-detectable to 500 and my CD4 is in the low 200s. My doc wants to switch to truvada but i'm getting ready to move in a month and have no health or medical help set-up yet in the new state. i'm not sure if/when i will get back into a program and therefore don't know how i will be able to monitor a new drug regimen. do you think i should stick with my old meds even if they are no longer 100% effective, or should i take the chance switching to new ones? Thank you!

Response from Dr. Henry

Not an easy decision. If you were to switch (which is recommended to increase the chance to re-suppress your HIV levels and avoid further development of resistance) then the sooner the better so that any problems (side effects)you have can be addressed by your current provider. Contacting local AIDS service organizations and or a provider in your new address ahead of time to get a sense of how quickly you can get plugged in to adequate care may be worth the effort. KH

Previous
Truvada & Viramune side effects
Next
Itchy bumps

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.