Doc Suggests Switching Meds But I'm Moving to Another State

hello, i've been on sustiva + combivir for 3 yrs with excellent results. however, i decided to take a drug holiday a few months ago and now my genotype test is inconclusive about whether sustiva is still helping me. my viral load has gone from non-detectable to 500 and my CD4 is in the low 200s. My doc wants to switch to truvada but i'm getting ready to move in a month and have no health or medical help set-up yet in the new state. i'm not sure if/when i will get back into a program and therefore don't know how i will be able to monitor a new drug regimen. do you think i should stick with my old meds even if they are no longer 100% effective, or should i take the chance switching to new ones? Thank you!

Not an easy decision. If you were to switch (which is recommended to increase the chance to re-suppress your HIV levels and avoid further development of resistance) then the sooner the better so that any problems (side effects)you have can be addressed by your current provider. Contacting local AIDS service organizations and or a provider in your new address ahead of time to get a sense of how quickly you can get plugged in to adequate care may be worth the effort. KH

Truvada & Viramune side effects
Itchy bumps