PEP is awful

Hey guys- I have been emailing Bob, but he has been away for a few days. Here is my situation. About 60 hours after a broken condom experience lasting at most 3 minutes with a woman of unknown staus, I started PEP. The doctor prescribed me 30 days of Atripla which I have been taking in the night/evening. It has been awful! Today is the eigth day. I have had bad side effects. I've been sweaty, tired, had muscle aches, had trouble concentrating, my stool has been a bit loose, have had terrible dreams, panic attacks, feel generally stoned after taking it, have not been performing great at work, cough a lot after I take it, have been very dry mouthed, and moody. In addition, I have had a white coating on my tongue which brushes off, and have lost weight, including from my legs and arms. At times, I have felt a tingling in my thighs. I would probably be freaking out that this was ARS, except it started the day after I started treatment, only 3.5 days after exposure. The list is non-exhaustive, and needless to say, it has been awful. I have made it through 8 days, and would rather be safe than sorry. That said. My first question is, do I need to take it for all 30 days, or would 28 be sufficient. I am very eager to be done as the side effects have been unbearable. I have also read that there are no studies saying that 28 days is any more effective than 21. Is that true, and if so, can I only take it for three weeks? Please advise. this has been awful.

The side effects you are experiencing are most likely due to the medications. PEP started 48 hours after exposure is of uncertain benefit. Modest data supports use of PEP for 28 days. Use of Atripla for PEP is tempting but side effect and side effect issues need to be considered. The risk for a male acquiring HIV after vaginal intercourse with a women of uncertain HIV status is low (< 1%).

Epilepsy & Anti-retrovirals
Truvada & Viramune side effects