Disrupted sleep

Dr Henry - I have been HIV+ for a year and a half - I started Truvada/Sustiva in the beginning of June and have good results so far. In the beginning I had a slight rash and then I went through some intense anxiety - crying on my way to work - not wanting to go to work - etc. So I started Paxil on Sept. 5th. I am having a very hard time sleeping - while I feel tired all the time -when I go to bed my legs kick and I am awake for a long time and wake up several times. I often have to use the bathroom during the night, which is unusual and I have slight headaches frequently. Mainly the disrupted sleep is bothering me the most, along with the uncontrollable leg movement. Is this from the HIV drugs or the Paxil? I have tried to take the HIV drugs in the morning but that was a disaster. I have tried changing the time of day when I take the Paxil but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas?

Certainly Sustiva can contribute to or cause persistent sleep problems (perhaps occurs in 10% of patients or so). You might consider discussing with your HIV specialist whether a trial of switching off Sustiva (to perhaps nevirapine or a boosted PI) might be considered to see what happens with your sleep when off Sustiva. For patients who wish to continue on Sustiva or need to continue on Sustiva, use of trazadone, lorazepam, melatonin, or other sleep meds can be tried. KH

Possible ARS?
skin hyperpigmentation