PEP Treatment Timeframe

I was put on Combivir for the PEP Treatment. I am on 2 times a day, but for 20 days. Everything I have read about PEP says 28 days. Should I be concerned?

Response from Dr. Conway

The most important thing about post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) is that it be started as soon as possible after the potential exposure occurred. It is best if this occurs within hours of the incident. Then, the most important time to take it is the first 7 days or so, and most would agree that 3 weeks is enough. I would caution us all that there are no data to compare the efficacy of 3 vs. 4 weeks of PEP. Most would say that you should take it for 4 weeks if you are not having any side effects, especially if you are on a regimen of only 2 drugs rather than a more standard 3 drug approach. All of this being said, there is no really standard approach (for drug selection and duration) and you should discuss it with your doctor before the 20 days are up, to make sure that you are both comfortable with the decision to stop.

Bladder Control
Possible ARS?