opinion

Given todays advances in HIV therapy, would you say that someone who is infected with HIV and recieves treatment before developing AIDS would be considered having a chronic illness rather than a death sentence and odds are in their favor that they will live a normal lifespan?

Response from Dr. Conway

I believe this quite strongly. Given that we are nowhere near a cure for HIV infection, careful monitoring and the use of antiretroviral treatment when it becomes necessary is the best approach. We now have people who started on HAART as long as 10 years ago and who are quite healthy with a normal immune system. There is reason to believe that they will maintain this state of health for the remainder of their natural lives, as long as they stay on treatment. With today's simpler and less toxic regimens, this will be all the more true. There will be exceptions to this, but engagement in care and hope for the future is the message I share with those entrusted in my care.

poor sight
Bladder Control