testosterone query

hello DR. i'm 36 HIV+ 4 years, hypogonadism. I've been on replacement for about 2 years. I started Atripla 2 months ago, undectable t-cells of 564. My question is can my testosterone be produced by my body with my health improving? how will i know if i'm getting too much? are there symptoms i should look out for? I use 10 grams (2 packs)of Androgel daily. Thank you for your time. tim-in san diego.

Generally when a patient has been on replacement testosterone their natural production (which was usually low to begin with) is suppressed so when the supplemental testosterone is stopped usually testosterone production remains at the previous low level. though it is possible that improved health on antiretroviral therapy may result in higher testosterone levels that is not routinely observed. More information/data/studies on scenarios like yours needs to be published. One problem with testosterone replacement is that once started it is difficult to know if and when it can be stopped (that is true for a wide variety of patients). KH

Muscle Fasciculation/Twitching
Diahrrea...for a year,or for life?