Intense muscle pain after workouts

I have been poz for 10 years now and have been on Kaletra and Truvada for over a year now after having been on multiple drug regiments (sustiva, zerit, viread, etc.). My VL has been <50 for a couple years, and CD4 is over 900, so I'm in great health. I work out (heavy on the weights) 4 - 5x/week. My main problem is this: I work out my legs with weights on average once every 1.5 weeks. Each time, even when I have decreased the weight, I have extreme soreness in ALL of my leg muscles. It is so bad that I am barely able to walk, especially in the morning or after sitting, and the soreness and stiffness is intense. It is usually the worst on the 2nd and 3rd days after lifting, but lasts at least 6 days each time. As a former college football player, I think I can handle a fair amount of pain. (My legs have always been very muscular, but due to lipodystrophy they are very defined now.) Is this intense soreness possibly a side effect of the med combo? I have been working out since I was 12, and never had this kind of soreness until about 3 years ago, and it seems to get worse with each workout.

The reverse transcriptase inhibitors you are now taking (Truvada = FTC + tenofovir) generally don't cause much mitochondrial toxicity which could impact/slow muscle recovery. You could be particularly sensitive to one of the drugs however. Has your HIV specialist evaluated you pre and post exercise looking for signs of muscle abnormality or increased lactic acid? Sometimes testosterone or thyroid hormone defiency can impacy muscle function. Also, for some people aging is associated with slower muscle recovery and more pain with exercise. KH

how does other illnesses relate to me and HIv
Drug Interaction