Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Traveling with meds
Sep 6, 2006

Excuse me if I have the wrong forum. I'm an American citizen going to virgin islands (American and British) for a week. I'm reading comflicting info on whether to keep meds in original packages or put in zip lock bags. I also hear that they should be carried on. Can gel caps be carried on and would this cause more attendion at check points then being in a suitcase I really don't want the original bottles if possible. (we are not freinds and in the 10 ten years we have been together I have never taken them passed the drug store parking lot where they are put into other bottles. I'm terribly afraid of disclosure and don't want a scene at the airports expecially amongst my niave traveling companions. Should I take them in the original bottles, in a zip lock bag with vitamins and calcium all mixed in or just not take them at all. I have been 100% complient for 10 years. I really don't want this trip to be the end of life as I know it. Please help

Response from Dr. Henry

Excellent and very important questions. For patients of mine that have been traveling recently I have written a note explaining the medications in case a carry on pouch with meds (or a pill-minder tray) is examined. It is my understanding the key medications can be carried on with such a note. Some of my patients have put their vitamins and other non-HIV medications in a separate pouch/pill bottle and have passed through security OK. If any reader has an official response to this type of question please post or direct to the posting. KH

Previous
parotid glands swelling
Next
low dose radiation for swollen parotid glands

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.