Fatigue/depression

I have suffered from fatigue for over five years. My health care providers like to ping pong the issue between psychological and physical. I see the causal agents as 1)being HIV+ for 10+ years 2)side effects of HAART 3)depression My doctor just fired me as a patient because I keep coming in with this issue. I have also been diagnosed with hypergonadism....... is that as a result of medications...... The conflict between Doctors has caused great confusion and leaves me depressed - as I am lead to believe that I'm being a hyponchondriac. Could someone step up to the plate and direct me to the best fight against this fatigue..... or just tell me to accept this as my fate, and be happy it's not worse......... Thanks.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Fatigue is common in HIV-positive patients and you are correct about its association with HIV disease, HIV medications and depression. Untreated or inadequately treated hypogonadism can also cause severe fatigue and you should be on testosterone replacement for that. You should have had a thorough workup to rule out medical causes, including anemia, metabolic and endocrine disorders, by this point. Your medications should be reviewed to make sure none of them is likely to be causing the problem (for example, AZT related fatigue or anemia). You should also have seen a psychiatrist and been assessed and, if necessary, treated for depression. If nothing is found and your fatigue persists, consider a trial of Ritalin or Cylert, two drugs that are relatively effective at treating fatigue of unknown origin in HIV-positive patinets.

Lipdystrophy
Possible side-effects