12 year old with high cholesterol and triglycerides

Hello again. I thank you for your reply to my recent question on my childs high cholesterol and triglycerides. He is currently on Kaletra, Zerit and Ziagen. You mentioned Heart disease generally develops slowly so the elevated lipids are not an emergency in the vast majority of cases but bear careful attention. If the regimen could be changed (switch off the Zerit and substitute boosted atazanavir for the Kaletra for example) that might help. Diet and exercise and fish oil supplements often help. I would also get help from a nutritionist and perhaps a pediatric heart specialist for advice. He was previously on boosted atazanavir and he turned very yellow, his bilirubin was extremely high, and that is why is was put on this regimen. How much omega 3 can I give him? He is 88 pounds. I appreciate your reply and wish you all a blessed day.

If he has no resistance to NNRTIs then use of a drug like nevirapine might improve his lipids as an alternative to protease inhibitors. Some patients have lower lipids with alternative ritonavir boosted protease inhibitors (other than Kaletra) so a boosted saquinavir or fosamprenavir). You could start with 1 gram of omega 3 fish oils and then titrate up to 2-3 grams/day as tolerated. Statins and or ezetimide can help some patients as well as fibrates for resistant lipid elevations. KH

Colonic Irrigation for HIV-Positive people
HIV Meds and Diabetes II