side effects or just co incidence

I have been taking Truvada and Sustiva for 26 weeks now. VL <50 CD4 340 feeling fine, slightly distrurbed sleep but nothing unmanageable. Had loose stools in first weeks of starting meds which passed. This last week I have had loose stools again and its now the 6th day.

Could this side effect have returned or is it likely to be another cause. I m eating fine and drinking plenty of liquids and pro biotic drinks and hoping it will just pass. Any other advice you can offer?

Dont really want to take Immodium as I always think its better out than in and your bodies getting rid for a reason.

Tenofovir can cause loose stools but the fact that your stools improved then have worsened suggest some other factor may be causing current stool symptoms. A stool evaluation for parasites and other infections can be helpful to pin down a cause and thus targeted treatment. Calcium supplements and fiber tablets often can decrease stool frequency in some patients. Pro-biotic drinks irritate the gut of a small number of patients so you might want to try simple fluids like gatorade/powerade for several days (simple sugars and salts). KH

hiv specialist
Colonic Irrigation for HIV-Positive people