Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thrush - TMP/SMX
Aug 25, 2006

You stated a few weeks ago that, with my hep C regimen kicking me <200, you would recommend PJP prophylaxis. Well, Dr. just prescribed such, but I'm not sure why. I was having lots of maladies about a month and a half ago, including cough, but they're mostly cleared now (nothing bad on chest xray). The thrush is back, though, after a 3 dose regiment of fluconazole; went back on it daily to no improvement or worsening. And then it's TMP/SMX out of the blue; but after reading up on it, it seems a bit too nasty to entice me to use it for prophylaxis only. Having some horrible (or even fatal) reaction "just in case" of PJP is not a chance I'm too keen on; though I know PJP ain't a party either. There was no mention of the thrush per se; does TMP/SMX have any effect on that? I was also on topical ketaconazole for rashes and had a bit of a reaction to that once; so in researching I thought perhaps itraconazole might be a good thing to switch to to get the thrush gone again. In the absence of coughs etc., is it really worth subjecting yourself to TMP/SMX prophy? I'll be done with the hep C regimen in four months, and hope to go >200 then.

Response from Dr. Henry

If you are HIV+ with a CD4 count < 200 then TMP-SMX is used to prevent Pneumocystis pneumonia--for most patients it is well tolerated though HIV+ persons have a higher rate of side effects than the general population. I would not characterize TMP-SMX as toxic-most patients tolerate it well. Use of antibiotics can cause flares of yeast infections in some patients. That is a generally modest problem in a small subset of persons taking relatively low doses of TMP-SMX for prophylaxis. KH

Previous
Bone Problems
Next
HIV+ STATUS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.