Dry Cracked Lips

My wife has had a cough for a few weeks and an intermittent temperature of 39-40 for 3 days or so. She started on a HAART regimen of 3tc,d4t,nvp about 2.5 weeks ago so we thought it was similar t when I started HAART as I had similar symptoms after 2 weeks or so.

She is also taking full dose co-trimoxazole (2x TMP-SMX 400x80 morning and night) for suspected PCP, and a combination of Ciprofloxacin (500mg morning and night) with Amoxycyllin (500Mg) in the mornings for the past week for another infection. We are in a country where we are unable to get immediate medical advice/assistance from a HIV expert. She has developed a very dry and cracked lips with mild bleeding over the past 2 days. What could this be?

Could the symptoms be MAC related (I had a +ve test for MAC in my sputum a few months back).

Thanks in advance.

Some of the drugs she is taking can cause the lips to dry and crack. Also if one is breathing harder due to lung problems or other issues then often the lips will dry out. Dehydration can also aggravate that problem. Sometime fungal infection at the corner of the mouth can cracking and bleeding. Maintaining good hydration and using a moisturizing/soothing ointment (different for different poeple but aloe, petroleum jelly, hydrocortisone, vitamin A/D help different situations). MAC would be unusual to cause lips to dry and crack. KH

Respiratory question
Split Once a Day Dosage