Help! I am having opportunistic infections

Dr. Conway:

Are ARS symptoms lasting for more than 5 weeks and can they come gradually? I have started having a sore throat and white tongue 3 weeks after unprotected vaginal contacts with a HIV+ male, after that I had muscle and joint pains for the following weeks as well as vaginial candidiasis. Lately I feel my lymph nodes are painful and my fingers started to peel. Are all these symptoms conistent with ARS? They are coming and going, but my joints and lymph nodes are especially painful at night time. How long are these going to last? I took a HIV test (at 7 weeks form the last exposure) which was negative....My doctor says it is a good sign, but I am skeptical. What do you think? I know that I need to test again at 12 weeks, but can I have some hope? I am also worried since I have heard that long ARS means quick progression. What else can I do to evaluate my health?

Thank you very much! Anna

Response from Dr. Conway

Dear Anna:

The symptoms you describe can be seen with acute HIV infection but are certainly not specific for it. Your doctor is right that the negative HIV antibody test at this stage is a good sign. You might consider having a test for HIV itself (either RNA or DNA PCR) as a more sensitive test that could be positive before the antibody test is positive, in light of your symptoms and the relatively high risk exposure that occurred. Further, I would also get tested for other sexual infections, especially syphilis.

HIV WORRY
is it HIV