Broken blood vessal on the shin

I got hit by a baseball below the knee right on the bone. The doctor has told me there is a broken blood vessel. I am getting a lot of bruising around the ankle and it has been for a week. Is this normal and or what treatment should be taken? I am concerned about this because it is getting worse.

Response from Dr. Conway

This sounds very normal to me, following an injury of the type you describe. After an injury, the blood under the skin will spread downwards and appear at a location that may be distant from the site of the original trauma. You might try keeping your foot elevated when you are sitting down (and perhaps even in bed). This may well speed up the healing process.

What circumstaces would you take Combivir?
Rash followup question