Metabolism, Testosterone, HARRT, and Weight gain.

Here is my problem. I quit smoking in Jan. of '06. I promptly put on 35 lbs. after that. I then started dieting. Sticking to a low carb diet like glue. I also must tell you that I am taking Travada, Norvir, and Reytez. I Started walking 6 miles every other day. Now my problem is that I have not b een able to loose but 15 lbs in the first 3 weeks. It seems that my metabolism has come to a halt. Also when I went to my doctor for my checkup, he found that my liver was enlarged by 2 cm. and also that my testosterone had drastickly dropped. By all rights, I should be loosing alot of weight in the last 3 months that I have been dieting, but I am not loosing a thing. My T cells are up to 800, and my viral load is undetectable. My BP is normal as well. Why can I not loose the weight. It really bothers me as I am now 309 lbs. Which is just as unhealthy as smoking. What can I do? Getting really discouraged. Can you help?

Dan S

If your testosterone level is below normal testosterone replacement can increase energy in some patients and help sustain exercise. You may want to check your thyroid status as well. I thorough nutrition review is often helpful as is a consultation with a personal trainer to design a custon exercise routine for yourself. From the HIV perspective your current regimen os relatively fat friendly so I wouldn't expect any change in treatment wouuld clearly impact your weight difficulties. KH

Muscle weakness
Lexiva & Kaletra