Use of Immunace as means of combating neuropathy and myopathy.

A 19 year old lady had recently been diagnosed RVD reactive. On her first visit, she had progressive muscle weakness and peripheral neuropathy of +/- 1 month. The patient was unable to walk unassisted. Relavant bloods had been taken (FBC, LFT, viral load and CD4 count). Due to a limited budget, electromyography and a muscle biopsy were not taken. Whilst waiting for a response, the patient had been prescribed Immunace. Immunace is manufactured by a British company and consists of a synergistic mixture of 24 vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and bioflavinoids. Within a period of 1 and a half weeks, she was able to walk on her own accord, even before her treatment(ARV's)was started. Quinine sulfate and procainamide were neither prescribed for managing her myopathy. This was a homeopathic instead of a conventional approach. What is it in Immunace that could have produced such a significant change in a short space of time?

Good question. I have seen several cases of HIV related transverse myelitis and/or myopathy that seemed to respond to corticosteriods prior the the availability of effective antiretrovirals. It is unclear to me what the etiology was of the muscle/neurologic process you describe. Some conditions wax and wane or improve with time so often it can be difficult to know if a certain intervention was absolutely the reason improvement was seen. I am not aware of any clear published data showing that a preparation like Immunace has been proven beneficial in progressive muscle/nerve conditions-any reader who is aware of such a reference is encourage to post the citation so we can read it. KH

HIV rash
GPO-Vir S30