What do you think?

My doctor was talking about starting me on neulasta, which is supposed to be a drug to increase white blood cell. I did research and it is used on chemo patients so that they do not get sick when they start therapy, when their white blood cell counts can get low. What do you think? He suggested it because I told him I was worried that My t cells werent rising up as fast as i suspected. They are hovering around 300, I am on sustiva and truvada. Should i start it?

Neulasta is used to increase neutrophil counts in persons with severe neutropenia (neutrophil counts < 250-500). Its effect of CD4 T-cell counts is variable and it is unclear if there is a clinical benefit to using Neulasta to increase CD4 T-cell counts. I generally would not use it in the situation you describe. Interleukin-2 is another option which more specifically can increase the CD4+ T-cell count. Again, it is unclear whether there is a clinical benefit to use of IL-2 to increase CD4 cell counts (several large studies are underway to assess that question). Ordinarily a CD4 count of 300 is adequate to protect against AIDS-related complications. Your HIV regimen is generally bone marrow friendly. Sometimes adequate HIV suppression is not accompanied by CD4 T-cell recovery which can be dependent on thymus gland status, T cell activation rates and other factors not directly impacted by antiretroviral therapy. KH

PEP Side effects
Skin discoloration? Side effect?