Truvada

My ID is suggesting that He is going to put me on Sustiva and Truvada next month. I am on no meds currently and am co-infected with hep C. After doing some research on the web, my concern is in regards to the syndrome of lipodystrphy and lipoatrophy. Are the there any statistics as to the number of patients who get these symptoms? And are there any places on the web that may have more detailed info in regards to this and or other patient experiance in regards to this. Thank you for your help...

Kurt A

Response from Dr. Conway

Truvada/Sustiva is one of the excellent, simple treatment regimens available to us today. In the near future, the 3 medications contained in these pills (tenofovir, emtricitabine and efavirenz) will be combined into a single pill, the first one-pill-once-a-day HAART regimen to become available. Although it is legitimate to worry about body shape changes, these would be extremely rare on this combination, even in the long term.

info req
Very discouraged by Lipoatrophy