Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

pert-test
Jul 26, 2006

Dear Dr. Conway, I need your opinion. Please help.I had a risk, a lot of symptoms(lymph-pain,skin problems,pain in hands/foots, body pain,herpes simplex and more. CD4 from 960/41% to 595/35%, CD19 repeatedly low, NK cells repeatedly high(27%). But a lot of ELISA-tests HIV-1/2 negative(about 20 months!)I have done repeatedly DNA PCR tests for HIV-1 and HIV-2.All negative! But I was sure to be infected in the light of my symptoms and pain. That's why,some weeks ago I was in Zurich and I have done a PERT- Test (Prof. Schpbach). The result-PERT on plasma negative. And it was done a viral-culture.(2 PERT-tests weekly on the culture)The first 3 weeks the tests negative,the viral culture will finish next week (4 weeks). Should it be negative,would you say I can absolutely forget about HIV and forget all the symptoms??? The symptoms are not in my head, the bloodwork is not in my head. But, when I would be infected, the PERT-assay would be positive, RIGHT? Please tell me your opinion. Thank you very much. Tom

Response from Dr. Conway

Dear Tom:

I would say that, with or without the PERT test, you need to move on from HIV to actively seeking another cause for your symptoms. The absence of antibodies to HIV-1 and HIV-2 and the absence of virus-specific material (as would be detected by PCR) rule out the presence of either virus, especially at this stage. Looking for endogenous reverse transciptase enzyme is a non-clinical test that you need to consider using only in extreme situations, where you are suspecting a new virus or organism other than HIV. You need to recall that the symptoms you describe are NOT specific to HIV and I would really encourage you to have an open mind and to look beyond HIV for another possible diagnosis that may lead to an effective and specific treatment for your condition. I believe that the symptoms are not in your head...now you need to believe they are not due to HIV and move on.

Previous
med side effects
Next
STD/HIV EFFECTS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.