Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Syphillis and HIV
Jul 24, 2006

I recently found out I have HIV, the doctor concluded that I have probably had it for about 2yrs. I am not suprised all my parters were contacted, one asked "so you have syphillis," I was immediatly confused. She is negative syphillis wise but does a negative syphillis test also conclude she is HIV negative too?

We had sex numerous times both vaginal and oral unprotected. She is looking to me for answers. Answers that I do not know. So my main question is syphillis testing for HIV to, or are they different. One for HIV (antibodies), and one for syphillis (bacterial).

I feel horrible, but feel I have done all I can. Could I have syphillis, I was hospitalized they ran all sorts of tests I never heard anything about syphillis?

Response from Dr. Henry

Syphilis and HIV are separate infections (first is a bacteria and the 2nd a virus). Though syphilis infections may increase risk for HIV transmission numerous patients will (luckily) not transmit one or both infections to a partner (though the converse is true as well-unlucky partners may acquire on or both infections). If your partner is negative then she is lucky. Safe sex from this point forward to recommended as is follow-up tests in 3 months or so to confirm her negativ status.

Previous
sustiva/truvada diarrhea
Next
neuropathy?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.