Steroid Use: Pre Hiv Meds

I have been HIV+ for one year. My numbers are good, and my specialist has not recommended any meds yet. I want to "beef" up my body. It would help me enjoy life to look better. I feel that if my body may waste and thin, I want to build up muscle now before it starts. I am of average build. Will my doctor prescibe a cycle of steriods for me? I am aware of the risks. But I have read that doctors sometimes prescribe them to AIDS patients to build muscle. Should I even ask? And how might I convince my specialist? I want to be proactive in my fight.

Thanks, Charlotte, NC

The long term safety of use of anabolic steroids in unclear. There are concerns about liver effects, prostate cancer risk, cardiac risks, and others. For an HIV+ person with good immune function whose weight is stable, diet and exercise are recommended as the best lifestyle changes to make to optimize long term health. For a male, if the testosterone level is below normal then use of replacement testosterone might be helpful in certain situations. Anabolic steroids are used in some AIDS patients with wasting/muscle loss.

A bump in my bone
peripheral neuropathy because of taking Triomune 40