vanity & humility

HIV + for 12 years, never sick. started meds with AZT and DDI. phenotype shows resistance to most NRTI's. In the past protease inhibitors have saved my ass, always keeps my viral load undetectable. Problem; currently taking Kaletra by itself, just one regiment works for me. But I am getting really vascular, veins are popping up in places I did not know I had veins. I have a great body, I need to look great nakes, or I am not playing this game!!!Just the way it is Mr. MD. I am currently undetectable, and my t-cells refuse to go over 320 for the past 4 years, what is up with that? And pleae most important tell me what to do about the veins, or I will abondon treatment soon. Ill do anything, fly any where, please fix me.

There is not much information about the evolution of fat distribution on just Kaletra. Long term use of AZT can results in fat depletion. Restoring fat in multiple locations has been an difficult challenge. If you are still on a thymidine analogue (AZT or D4T)then use of a uridine supplement such as NucleoMax might help (that is being studied). It is unclear whether uridine would help much of not on a thymidine analogue. Use of other NRTIs such a tenofovir or abacavir usually OK. Use of anabolic steroids/testosterone may actually cause more fat loss so that is an issue ofr some patients. Some patients don't have much capacity to recover CD4 cells due to little remaining active thymus gland or persistent T-cell activation or other factors. Fat loss is a frustrating area right now but it is receiving alot of attention so the learning curve is steep so I am hopeful that better treatment options will be available in the futire. Stopping treatment can be an immediate threat to a patient's health and may not result in recovery of fat so that is not an attractive option for most patients. KH

physician husband stuck w/infected needle
Availability of "Tincture of Opium"