|physician husband stuck w/infected needle
Jul 21, 2006
My husband, a physician, was accidently stuck with an HIV infected needle during a surgical procedure. My question is what are the chances he will acquire HIV and what precautions should we take in the meantime?
| Response from Dr. Henry
Hopefully he was evaluated promptly and if HIV exposure confirmed started on a post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) regimen for 4 weeks. Safe sex (with condoms) recommended for at least 3-6 months until follow-up blood tests are back. The risk for HIV transmission after a needlestick can vary depending on the details but generally runs < 1%. KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Itchy Rash After Anal Sex Bottom Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Penis Discharge After Touching Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling Lips After Touching Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- White Spots After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- After Gonorrhea Treatment If Masturbated Does The Medicine Still Work
- After Treatment For Trichomoniasis How Should You Wait To Have Sex
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.