Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Continuing Truvada in Canada
Jul 17, 2006

Dear Dr. Conway,

I am currently in the US on Sustiva + Truvada. I have responded favorably to the regimen with almost no side effects and complete viral suppression. My CD4 count is slowly inching its way back up to 200 (from less than 100). Because of this, I would really prefer not to have to switch to another regiment unless it is absolutely necessary.

I am lucky enough to have both Canadian and British citizenships. I need to move to either Canada or the UK within the next month or so. After researching HIV care in both countries, it seems that Truvada is available in the UK but it has not yet passed Canada's CDR and is therefore not listed on formularies in any province, despite federal approval. What does this mean exactly? Will I be unable to continue treatment on Truvada if I do decide on Canada? If it is available, say through an expanded access program, will I have to jump through all sorts of hoops to get it?

One last question, I have empolyment prospects in British Columbia, Quebec and Ontario. Born to a Canadian parent abroad, I have never resided in Canada before and so have no provincial health plan/insurance. My coverage here in the US ends in July. Will I have to wait the required three months to establish residency in a province? Are there any exceptions made for someone who would be forced to discontinue treatment otherwise?

I am sorry if this is not quite the right forum for these two questions but you are the only fellow Canadian I found among the Forum Experts. I would prefer to move north rather than across the pond but these issues will drive my decision so any advice or information you could provide would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

P.S. My sister just graduated from UBC, go Thunderbirds!

Response from Dr. Conway

Sorry for the delay in answering this question. Truvada is now fully approved in Canada and readily available in British Columbia. Its availability in Eastern Canada cannot be far away. In the Canadian health care system, if someone presents for care and needs life saving medications of any kind (including HIV medications), there is always a way to make it available immediately. You just need to be sure to consult with a physician who is experienced in the field of HIV, and things should be fine.

Should I now welcome you to Canada?

Previous
Am undetectable can kissing
Next
buffalo hump

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.