thinning hair

Hi Doctor Conway, Is it common to see hair loss begin after 5 yrs of Epivir,rather than right after inititation of the drug? FYI: My thyroid function is normal. Frustrated and at a loss. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Conway

Hair loss has not, to my knowledge, been associated with Epivir use. Zidovudine and tenofovir may be associated with hair loss, so I wonder if you have been on either of these agents. Apart from that, there are so many causes of hair loss (including any acute illness, to tell you the truth) that I suggest you go over things again with your doctor, so that you can establish whether more tests are needed, or if you can just wait this out until it gets better (a common occurence, thankfully).

PEP effectiveness once a fever is produced
HIV Antibodies