Sustiva rash

About 10 days after taking Sustiva (with Truvada), I had a rash over my whole body, during which I felt that my body was on fire. My doctor told me to stop taking the medicine. I waited a week for the rash to go away, then I started on Reyataz boosted with Norvir and Truvada. My problem is although the rash has gone away, I still feel the fire feeling on my arms and face. Have you heard of this before? I'm assuming it will eventually go away, but I think it's the reason for me feeling weak with less energy than normal. I'm trying to stay out of the sun. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Conway

The rash and its timing are completely consistent with it being attributable to Sustiva. Changing to Reyataz with Ritonavir is certainly an excellent option. You are now taking a regimen that has little or no association with skin rash as a side effect.

As for your symptoms, it may take some time for them to get better, and you can use antihistamines or even a steroid cream to relieve the symptoms. The key here is that it should not be getting worse...just better, perhaps more slowly than you would have expected.

Face looking pale
PCR