Gross Hematuria?

41 year old, HIV(+) since about 1999. NEVER had an OI. Started treatment 10/2004 because of dropping CD4's. I've been on norvir, viread, reyataz,epivir since then. Undetectable after 9 mos. on the meds. About 6 months ago I developed GROSS hematuria. No pain or discomfort at all. My urologist performed cystoscopy with biopsies x 2. Also cauterized "a ring of irritated tissue on the bladder neck. All biopsies were negative for malignancy. They showed "chronic edema and inflamation". CT of abdomen and pelvis were normal as well. The bleeding has stopped since. But now I have pain at the end of urination. Doctor says it will go away in 2 to 4 months. Is this hematuria possibly related to the meds I am taking? or related to HIV? Has anybody else out there had this side effect? ALL my Lab work (CBC, CMP, etc) is also normal!

Thanks Concerned in Arizona

I am unaware of any clear link between your current HIV medications and the bladder abnormalities you describe. Were any of your urine/or biopsy cultures positive for any type of infection? Interstitial cystitis can cause many of the symptoms you descibe and is often of unknown etiology with treatment often a challenge. Biopsy is recommended as you have had done. KH

What is Merca ? Something to do with the skin ???
Can HIV compromize the immune system without another disease involved?